Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Diabetes: A Long Conversation with Your Body

Sunflower detail_from Spiritual Mechanics of Diabetes blog
Diabetes engages you in a long conversation with your body – even during those times when it seems you and your body aren’t speaking to each other.

Through this unending communication process, you gain access to a great deal of information that you may not call “spiritual awareness,” but which is just that. 

When I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 1984, in my late twenties, it was a shock to have to handle such a sudden, far-reaching glitch in communication with my body. But I was so busy adjusting, I didn’t think much about what exactly this “I” was that had to take over for a lot of what my body used to do automatically, all by itself.

Then, a couple of years later, a close friend arranged a reading for me at the Berkeley Psychic Institute’s then-anchor branch. Midway through the evening, the other readings in the building ground to a halt as the institute’s director gathered the student readers to look at the origins and nature of my diabetes – not because I was unusual, but because diabetes offered a rich training opportunity for those learning to clairvoyantly view the human spiritual system.

I loved the communication and healing I received in that reading, and I wanted to learn to do what the readers did.

So I went on to complete most of the institute’s classes and graduate programs. (The Berkeley Psychic Institute as I knew it no longer exists, by the way.) I then continued my studies at the Aesclepion Healing Center in San Rafael, Calif. This training helped me make sense of the strong intuitive responses I’d experienced for as long as I could remember, which I had directed into writing poetry and making music. Working with poems and music had honed my innate skills as a clairvoyant (clear seer of energy), but I still unconsciously longed for other ways to understand the flood of data that often overwhelmed me. Finally, here were tools to do so.

More fundamentally, my intuitive training showed me in practical terms that I was not just a body, not just a personality, but also a spiritual or energetic being. It was as a being that I used intuition, and it was my intuitive abilities that helped me know myself as a spiritual being.

In 1993, I began offering professional intuitive readings, healings, and consultations. Meanwhile, I continued my creative work as a poet and singer, as well as conducting a third career as a writer and editor specializing in environmental science. It didn’t take long to realize that all three practices shared a focus on communication and, along with it, healing. In all three arenas, my job was to keep journeying toward knowledge – of self, others, and environment – and to facilitate this journey in others.

Diabetes asks the same thing of me: more self-knowledge. And it asks the same thing of you. It’s a request that we’re fortunate to receive – even if we may not like the way it comes to us.

Self-knowledge includes not just your body, but also your energy.

Diabetes is a message. Loud and clear, it alerts you to a glitch in your energy distribution system, whether caused by genetic, environmental, social, behavioral, and/or personal stresses.

You had to – have to – step in and more consciously run the body, take care of it, watching and responding to it even as you inhere within it. And in doing so, you directly experience that you are not just a body, not just physical matter, but a spirit composed of energy. 

Of course, other conditions and activities reveal this duality too. But diabetes especially reveals it, because it demands daily and even hourly attention – and you provide that attention as something other than the body itself.

It’s this body-being communication that’s at the heart of your diabetes. If you want to feel better physically, emotionally, and energetically, you have to get really interested in your communication with your body.

You can become more aware of and more skilled at managing the communication between you and your body by using eight essential tools, which this blog will go on to address. These tools will make it much easier to manage your diabetes, with the help of a conventional diabetes care program. Plus, they'll give you some new ways to have fun.

copyright © 2013 Lisa Bernstein

2 comments:

  1. My nephew drives a fork lift in Indiana and has diabetes- any simple 'conversation' tips for him to help him have good control?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would advise him to keep checking in with his body, keep testing his blood sugar, and keep tweaking his regime but ask for help from a diabetes nurse educator or doctor on how to do it -- and above all, try to see the humor in it. I'd be glad to talk with him. Please email me at lisabmusic at hotmail dot com with his email address or give him mine. Thanks for your question!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding your voice! Keep on commenting, and feel free to ask a question.